Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Latest on My Rabid Mind

1. What kind of present do you get for your dying father's last Christmas (who won't acknowledge that he's dying)? Every other Christmas, he's always asked for candy, food (like beef jerky), socks, ties, or, during my freshman year at college, a laptop (back when we were all seriously broke). That's it. Two years ago the question was "what do I get for a father who has always been distant since the divorce and who seriously damaged my psyche before that?" so I guess the question isn't that different. Wait, what?

2. Catching Fire was awesome! I love what they did with the first movie too. I was strangely detached from the 2nd and 3rd book for some reason--I started getting annoyed about a bunch of things (love triangle, the ease of the revolution, etc). But they made it feel so much darker and real in the movie and I really appreciated that. I love dark movies (that have a viable story, a protagonist I understand/respect, some actual depth, are not about the damn technological effects, etc).

3. He left the job. Abruptly. Just as well.

4. Gravity was another gorgeous movie. Many, many impossibilities, but still a beautiful movie. Go see it.

5. Does anyone else ever feel like an impostor? At their job (which might be more relatable)? In living? I feel like some entity trapped in this body and I simply don't belong here. I feel in every social interaction that I'm pretending, that I'm acting (and obviously failing) and I hate that feeling of being false. And when I'm by myself, there's nothing but the stillness, the silence, nothing else in my mind. A gorgeous reprieve from the pretense, but I still feel wrong. Stuck. Nothing to look back on and dwell on, and nothing to draw me forward or deceptively goad me on.

6. Double stuffed oreos are really goooood.

7. Oh, Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment